The staff is made up of the following teachers:
- Mr. Kasujja Henry (Head of Department)
- Mr. Mayanja Willy
- Mr. Bwambale Jackson
All the teachers are able to teach all the subject areas in art.
Mr. Ssevule Fred is the Art room Assistant
Art Students are in all the classes – from senior one to senior six. Senior one is the only class where art education is compulsory.
The Art Department is endowed with spacious rooms for its activities. These two buildings comprise of the Junior Art Room, and the Senior Art Rooms. The Senior Art Rooms comprise of three large rooms: a painting room, HSC/Crafts room and a graphics room.
Being largely a practical subject, several areas of art are undertaken in these rooms. These are painting, drawing, graphics, and a series of craft work . In the crafts, students have hands-on in clay work (pottery and sculpture), batik, tie and dye, mosaics, papier marché etc. An art student leaves the school when he is accomplished in various areas of art. At UNEB, the O’ level student and an A’ Level Student sits for four papers. The department has excelled over the years especially at A’ Level.
Currently with the new art curriculum, Studio Technology has taken center stage in the teaching of art especially at O’ Level.
This year the art students have attended an art workshop at the nearby school Archbishop Kiwanuka S.S.S. during the second week of third term. This art seminar and exhibition was organized by the recently revamped SOBETA, an organization of art teachers in the Masaka area. It will rotate workshops through participant Masaka schools during first and second terms starting 2019. In 2014 St. Henry’s hosted that workshop that brought a lot of art students from schools around Masaka. Several schools visit our department when their requests are sent to us. During Macadita Mock preparation for marking the department has been host to the O’ Level and A’ Level markers of art.
The art department as one of its activities is beautifying the school, has put up several art works in some of the school buildings, in form of student paintings and drawings. In the Dining Hall, Computer Center, Library and Staff Room. The schools compound has a number of Life size sculptures made during Bro. Aiden’s days, done under the supervision of The late Prof. Musango. This year the art teachers advised on the installation of the school signposts.
Here are some of today’s artists that have passed through the St. Henry’s College, Art Department include:
- Mr. Lubowa: (R.I.P.) artist, former Head of Department
- Elly Tumwine: Member of Parliament, Artist self Employed – National Theatre
- Ife Francis Xavier: Lecturer Makerere University
- Kibirige Dean: Former Manager Star TV at UBC
- Joseph Ntesibe: Artist
- Fabian Kamulu Mpagi (R.I.P.) (Sculpted the statue in ‘California’)
- Kivubiro Tabawebbula Joseph Dr., Artist, musician, cultural historian, Kangnam University, Australia
- J.. Mungaya
- Norbert Kaggwa: Lecturer Kyambogo (retired)
- Alex Drani: (Co-sculpted the Founders Park statue)
- Expedito Mwebe (R.I.P): (Co-sculpted the Founders Park statue)
- Edward Kaggwa: self employed artist and decorator
- Adonia Ocom: Figurative artist, Kirewu Art Studio
- Balikuddembe Joseph: Air Controller at Entebbe, animator at Bukedde newspaper
- John Bosco Kanuge: Lecturer Makerere University
- Brian Kamanyire: Artist self employed
- Denis Mubiru: Artist self employed
- Kazibwe Dan a.k.a. Ragga Dee, musician
- Micheal Cliff Kibuuka II: Artist self employed
- Latim Timothy: Architect
- Adrian Aturinda: Graphic Designer, Elemental Edge
- Nsereko Michael: Lecturer Makerere University
- Odama: Lecturer Makerere University
- Alex Walakila: Quantity Surveyor, Ridge Consulting Uganda
- Bukenya Ben: Graphic Illustrator , Mulago Hospital
- Kayondo John: Illustrator, Lewisshaw Advertising LTD
- Luyima Marius: Designer, Maluga Co. LTD
- Ssebagala Joseph Kampi: Wood curver, self employed
- Gerald Ssali: worked with Design Container, Norway; Scanad Rwanda; Fireworks Advertising Uganda
- Kawooya Tonny: Art Director, KINAYA
- Matovu Martin: Freelance, Uganda Information Service
- Muwanga Rogers
- Batte Taddeo
- Mwine Bruce
- Muwanga Rogers
There many more. The list is endless…
On a special note:
Rev. Bro. Anthony Kyemwa who was once a Headmaster at this school, is also an artist of note.
Prof. Francis Musango (R.I.P.) was also once a Deputy Headmaster at St. Henry’s College, Kitovu.
LONG LIVE ART DEPARTMENT
MR. KASUJJA HENRY (HEAD OF DEPARTMENT)